Palm City History
In 1912, Charles C. Chillingworth and his Palm Beach County Land Company (at the time the area was part of Palm Beach County) bought property from George Beckwith, who had acquired the land in 1889, and advertised the land throughout the United States, Canada and Europe. Pineapples, oranges and grapefruit were grown at a “Demonstration Farm” on present-day Martin Highway to show farmers what they could expect if they settled in the newly named Palm City. Chillingworth provided boats, mule-teams and covered wagons (later replaced by a Model T Ford) to take the prospective clients around the undeveloped countryside. An advertisement in the Palm Beach County newspaper boasted “Free dinner on New Year’s Day for progressive buyers. A 10 acre tract for $50 per acre (to be raised to $60 the next day) with a free town lot in Palm City to every purchaser and 85 cents for a round trip train ticket from West Palm Beach to Stuart.